Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year. As the new superintendent of the Abingdon-Avon school district, I could not be more excited about the upcoming school year! Over the past few months, I have had an opportunity to interact with the dedicated staff and administration in this extremely progressive school district. Additionally, I have been able to visit with parents and other community members. Everyone I have visited with has expressed great pride in the Abingdon-Avon School District. This district went to great lengths to select a new district leader. The involvement of staff and community members on the interview team displayed the commitment this district has to hearing their voices. With my selection as the new superintendent, it is important that all stakeholders are aware of my vision for superintendent leadership:
1. Be visible – students, staff, and community members in and throughout our buildings and communities will see me.
2. Be approachable – If we cross paths at a local restaurant, school sporting event, community gathering, or school event, please feel free to introduce yourself and start a conversation.
3. Put the interest of kids first – This has been my approach to educational leadership from the beginning of my educational career.
4. Put in a full day of work – I am a tireless and dedicated worker when it comes to providing the best possible learning environment for students and staff.
5. Be better today than yesterday – I strive to always learn and improve in all facets of educational leadership.
6. Have an open door – If anyone in the community wishes to bring a concern, idea, or question to my attention, please feel free to stop in the office (you might miss me beacuse I plan to be in all of our buildings as much as possible) or schedule an appointment.
I am looking forward to continuing the progressive educational advances District 276 has made over the past few years. Additionally, it is time to highlight these progressive advances to other school districts. We will be opening our doors and classrooms to others so they can see progressive change in action. Our 21st Century classrooms are models for others to emulate.
I am a firm believer in the idea that our district is one where the school experience is designed around the futures of our students.
It is my expectation that 2017-2018 will be a great school year for our students, staff, families, and community members.
Looking forward to a great 2017-2018,
Dr. Mike Curry